"Is Horrorcore Dead?" - A Civil Discussion

The latest news from the up-and-comers in the horrorcore genre.
ComicVomit

Re: "Is Horrorcore Dead?" - A Civil Discussion

Post by ComicVomit »

This is a conversation I've had a few times. As someone who was creeping on the forums in the late 2000s but stepped away from the genre for awhile, I feel like its not completely dead but the landscape has changed.

Horrorcore was an outsider artform but I feel like hip hop and its culture as a whole has evolved to be more accepting of dark themes within the music. This is why artist like Ghostmane, $uicideboys, and even Tyler the Creator were able to get as popular as they are.

With this embrace of dark subject matter also came a blow to horrorcore as a whole, not becuase the artist I mentioned are making the same music but becuase the kids who would have been on the forums and into horrorcore back in the day have other options that fill a similar niche.

I don't necessarily think horrorcore is dead, there are def people still pushing the music forward. Darby O'Trill being one of them. That being said there are probably only a few artist still releases horrorcore or horrorcore adjacent music that I closely follow (Darby, Komatose, Jakprogresso, and A.X.E.). I still love the albums I grew up with (was bumping Tales of Woe earlier today) but like there isn't allot going on in horrorcore that I get genuinely excited about besides the 4 artist mentioned above.

I feel like I even started filling my horrorcore niche with other artists for awhile. Mainly Sadistik... he's not horrorcore but he probably references more horror films than most horrorcore rappers.
Jøhn Wayne Gu¢¢i
fatphrank
Site Admin

Post by fatphrank »

ComicVomit wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:42 pm
I don't necessarily think horrorcore is dead, there are def people still pushing the music forward. Darby O'Trill being one of them. That being said there are probably only a few artist still releases horrorcore or horrorcore adjacent music that I closely follow (Darby, Komatose, Jakprogresso, and A.X.E.). I still love the albums I grew up with (was bumping Tales of Woe earlier today) but like there isn't allot going on in horrorcore that I get genuinely excited about besides the 4 artist mentioned above.
Darby is def one of the new[er] artists holding it down. I've found out about other random newer artists over the last year or so when I first launched the Wiki site. Salem Alumni, Illtrix, Odprophet, basically the whole Cerberus Clique are killing shit. Other people like Skippy Ickum comes to mind. Although I'm not sure if he's back or retired again.

Point is, there are def still some dope artists doing horrorcore if you look hard enough, and the shit will never fully die.
HorrorcoreWiki
ComicVomit

Post by ComicVomit »

fatphrank wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:26 pm Darby is def one of the new[er] artists holding it down. I've found out about other random newer artists over the last year or so when I first launched the Wiki site. Salem Alumni, Illtrix, Odprophet, basically the whole Cerberus Clique are killing shit. Other people like Skippy Ickum comes to mind. Although I'm not sure if he's back or retired again.

Point is, there are def still some dope artists doing horrorcore if you look hard enough, and the shit will never fully die.
I def will need to check some of those artist out. Didn't know the Definition of Insanity was a thing until I saw them mentioned yesterday and was bumping that today. Staplez was fucking 🔥 throughout the album.
Jøhn Wayne Gu¢¢i
ComicVomit

Post by ComicVomit »

Salem Alumni is 🔥 😮
Jøhn Wayne Gu¢¢i
fatphrank
Site Admin

Post by fatphrank »

SA are two of the dopest emcees I've heard in a while. I love those dudes. You should def check out all of the supergroup stuff they've released under the Cerberus Clique name. Only a couple of tracks so far, but still amazing. Odprophet and EJ (EJ is one half of SA) also just released an album together called Dicromose which is dope as fuck from start to finish.

And yes, Staplez is still the man. I love that TDoI album.
HorrorcoreWiki
Creech

Post by Creech »

Horrorcore was invented in some point and that cant be undone, it will forever exist. I guess its just like wine. Sometimes it has its good years, sometimes not.